Friday 23 November 2012

WoW - A fantasy themed dressing up simulator



Back in the day, my wow catchphrase used to be
"Paladin : It doesn't matter what you do, as long as you look good doing it!"

I was joking of course, it was a game and utility came first, but that didn't mean I wouldn't strive to gain upgrades that would both improve my stats and my look.

Then I was introduced to SL a 'game' where the objective is (for me at least, SL lets you pick your own) to look good.

Now I'm back in WoW, and (yes this is another transmog post) I can have my cake and eat it.

Even though I was very happy with both the looks I gave Raxiel, I can't look at the same set for too long and so of course I've changed them both.

The two new sets share a few items.

Protection




The protection set is basically the Tier 4 Justicar Armor. It was released at the beginning of the Burning crusade and was featured in the opening cinematic, worn by a Draeni retribution paladin.This set wasn't particularly well received when the first preview was released, partly because the helmet made you look like a rhino, and partly because it was probably designed to suit the new Draeni race first and then other races second.but after a little bit of tweaking it became what I think is a really nice set. It looks like proper plate armour*

 It's paired with the matching non-set boots and a belt that is a close match (I've not had much luck getting the 'proper' one. I'm still using Honors Call and I added the Aldori Legacy Defender as a shield. Originally I had it without a tabard, but after equipping the Argent Crusade tabard for the teleport I realised it looked quite good (although I'm now considering picking up this one).



Retribution.

The new DPS set is based on Tier 5 but with a twist. Rather than the original Crystalforge Armor which is a bit too... colourful for my liking (and to be honest the pastels seem to wash out the detail too), I got my hands on some non-set pieces that share the models of tier 5 but with the colours of tier 4. I kept the remaining Justicar pieces and replaced the sword and shield with the Hammer of the Naaru, a weapon that was also featured in the TBC cinematic.


I think both sets work really well, and they've even got me a few compliments from strangers. I know I'll change them eventually but for now I'm happy.

*Some may notice I use a mix of the American and British spelling of words like armour in this blog. That's because when I'm describing it by its function, I use what I consider to be the 'proper' spelling, but when its part of an items name I use the original american.

No comments:

Post a Comment